The image shown here does not have the correct dimensions for Pinterest. However, the content of the image fits Pinterest perfectly! Dimensions and sizes of pins will be included in future posts.
Pinterest has become an obsession for many users who often refer to it for everything from recipes to home décor to inspirational quotes. Of course, there are so many other categories available; the options are truly endless. Everything you can imagine is at your fingertips.
Pinterest and Business
Pinterest is also great for business. It offers a place to unleash your creativity and think outside the box of what is normally expected, personally and professionally. It is a great way to showcase your personality, product or service.
To start using Pinterest to showcase your creativity, you will need to…
Verify your website
Start by verifying your website. This makes your pins look more professional with a few additional touches that you don’t usually find with unverified content. Your logo should be front and center of the pin and it will look more professional.
How to verify your website
Have a few posts on your website before verifying it.
- Go to your settings.
- Click claim your website & follow instructions.
- You will need to add code to the header section of your website or find a plugin to do that for you (if you are using WordPress). A plugin is perfect for those who are not comfortable adding the code yourself.
- If you are using WordPress, use a child theme, and only edit files under the child theme. If anything goes wrong with the main theme while trying to add code you can crash your website. With a child theme it’s as easy as deleting the code or a child theme file, if necessary.
- Other platforms (Blogger, Tumblr, Wix.com & Squarespace) will have different variations of how to add the Pinterest code. This is too extensive to cover in this article. They typically have very well written, simple instructions to follow.
Once you claim your website you will have access to…
- Website analytics (specifically pins from your site) & other tools.
- Your logo profile picture will be added to the pins from your website.
Other tools in Pinterest
You can also create widgets for your website including:
- A follow button.
- Profile, pin or board widget.
There are instructions for adding the code for widgets for many platforms including WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr and Wix.com.
Click here to start building your widgets…
With Pinterest, like Instagram, the quality of the image counts. It’s important to put a lot of thought into everything you add to your account.
Click the upper left hand corner under Analytics to find out:
- Daily impressions on your Pinterest profile.
- Average monthly viewers and engagement.
- Average daily impressions from your website.
- Top Pin impressions.
- Boards with top Pin impressions.
- Audience insights.
You have enough information here to create more and more pins that are targeted to your users’ interests. You can also test out some of the audience insights found in Pinterest on other social media platforms. It’s important to remember that the format of your image and content must be streamlined for each social media platform to truly evaluate how well it works.
How did it all start?
“Should I be a doctor or should I get into business?” – Ben Silbermann, CEO of Pinterest
This was the question Silbermann pondered in his 20’s before creating what we now know as Pinterest.
Did you know?
Silbermann describes Pinterest as a tool to find inspiration.
Pinterest is the 3rd largest source of referral traffic on the web.
Sources: Forbes.com, (2012), Businessinsider.com, (2012)